Residence Permit and Visa

Do you need a visa, residential permit? Are you are eligible to study in Sweden, with or without a visa? The answer to all such questions lies in this segment. Read and know about the Visa details.

Residence Permits and Visas to Study in Sweden

Rules and regulations on residence permits and visas for international students in Sweden diverge depending on country of citizenship. If you are unsure about your country if it belongs to the EU/EEA, visit 

For Citizens of EU/EEA/Nordic Countries

Citizens of EU/EEA/Nordic countries are allowed to live in Sweden without a residence permit or visa.

For Citizens of Switzerland

Swiss citizens are permitted to come to Sweden without a residence permit or visa. Nevertheless, if you will be pursuing your education in Sweden for more than three months, in that case, you will be required applying for a residence permit for studies.

For Citizens of non-EU/EEA/Nordic countries

Stays of less than three months: You will require a visa if the country that releases your passport is on their list. And if your country of citizenship is not in the list, you can cross the threshold of Sweden without a visa. 

Stays of more than three months: You are required having a residence permit prior to coming to Sweden. The Swedish Migration Board  issues the residence permit.

Eligibility Conditions

To apply for residence authorization or permit for studies in Sweden, you must be accepted to the full-time officially recognised University Programme in Sweden and are required pay the first tuition fee instalment.

Swedish Visa Applying Procedure

Online Mode

You can apply online for your residence permit. To apply online, you need to have a valid e-mail address.
Submit the online application to the Swedish Migration Board. Pay the application fee VISA or MasterCard/EuroCard, which varies every year. The Migration Board evaluates your application form. You’ll get an email about the final decision on your application.

Offline Mode

You can also take a print-out of the application form. The citizens of countries outside the EU/EEA and Switzerland applying for residence permit can download the Swedish Migration Board-Form . 
Fill in the credentials and submit the form along with the required fee to the Swedish embassy in your country of residence Swedish Embassies.

Visit the embassy or consulate-general to collect your final decision. Carry your passport with you. Some embassies and consulates-general send the decision and residence permit card by the post. Contact the concerned embassy or consulate-general for more information. The Swedish institution in which you’ve been admitted also gets an e-mail with information about your visa decision at the same time as you.

Supporting Documentation

  • Two copies of your passport: Gives your personal details, indicates validity period and whether you have permission to live in countries other than your country of descent.
  • Recent passport-size photographs
  • Admission Letter/Acceptance Letter: Demonstrating that you have been accepted to study a programme or courses full-time.
  • Educational Credentials: Two copies of current degrees and diplomas. 
  • Proof of health Insurance coverage: If your stay in Sweden is for less than one year, you are required submitting a proof of complete health insurance.
  • Documentation of fee payment: It should show that you’ve paid a certain amount of your tuition fees (if you have to pay tuition fees)
  • Proof of financial backing: Can be a bank statement or other financial statement (two copies). You should be able to show a minimum amount of SEK 7300 per month
  • Documents issued in your name, demonstrating that you have got a scholarship or a student aid, including information about the monthly amount and the period during which you will obtain such funds or Documents demonstrating that you have been awarded an educational grant (only applicable to doctoral students) or have been employed as a doctoral student, along with information about the amount and the duration during which you will get the funds. 
  • Proof of Accommodation: It can be in the form of a rental agreement, a student hall of residence or flat accommodation agreement, etc.
* The documents should be translated into Swedish or English

Processing Time

It takes around five months to obtain a residence permit, so submit your application as soon as you receive your notification of admittance.

For latest information and updates refer official website
Connect me with the Top Colleges
First Name:
Last Name:
E-Mail ID :
You live in:
Mobile Number:
You want to study in:
Highest Level of Education:
Study Preference:
You want to Study:
Need an education loan?
loading Processing...
  • No Articles to display

Know More »

  • No Press Releases to display

Know More »

Sweden Select a Country

Our Network :